Assessments Requirements Overview
Applicants requesting certification as a Commercial Surface Supplied Diver under the Diver Certification Board of Canada (DCBC) scheme will have to undergo an assessment to determine whether they meet the enabling objectives of the Canadian Standards Association CSA Z275.4, Competency Standard for Diving Operations.
The Association of Diving Contractors International (ADCI) currently offers U.S.-based certification. Working divers without ADCI certifications may also contact us for assistance if an assessment is required.
The assessment is a two-part process:
- initial review of an applicant’s current qualifications (certs, dive logs, documented work experience), and
- observed, practical assessment in which any missing enabling objectives are completed and the applicant’s competency is tested in both diving related theory, and practical demonstration of commercial practices and underwater skills (observed dive).
The initial assessment encompasses a comprehensive, detailed look at the applicant’s formal commercial dive training, current certifications, work history, commercial log books, and medical fitness to dive. The results of this will determine eligibility as well as identifying areas not in compliance with the CSA Commercial Diver Competency Standards or ADCI Consensus Standards. Enabling Objectives not met during the initial screening process will have to be completed prior to applying for the diving certification. A detailed training schedule and cost will be provided upon request.
At completion of the final assessment, a letter is sent to you (the applicant), which you include with your application to the certifying agency (Diver Certification Board of Canada or Association of Diving Contractors, International). The final assessment letter documents that you have completed an assessment and have met all requirements for Certification to the level you have applied for in accordance with the CSA Z275.4 and CSA Z275.5 or ADCI Standards. You send in your application directly to DCBC or ADCI along with the required fees. The applications can be downloaded from their respective websites at ADCI or DCBC.
DIT will maintain a file with a copy of your application documentation for periodic review and audit by the Diver Certification Board of Canada and the Association of Diving Contractors International.
Eligibility Requirements/Documentation required for assessment to Unrestricted Surface Supplied Air Diver in accordance with CSA Z275.4 and CSA Z275.5 Commercial Diving Standards:
- Must have at least 2 years of Commercial Diving experience.
- Must be current in First Aid, CPR, AED and Oxygen Provider certifications.
- Must have a current Diving Physical/Medical Exam completed by a Level 1 Board Certified Hyperbaric Physician.
- Must have current industry certifications including SCUBA, HazMat, ADC Surface Supplied Diver, Rigging, etc.
- Must have 50 hours (:3,000 minutes) TBT in Surface Supplied diving including the following depths/TBT:
Surface Supplied Air Diver:
- Must have a minimum of :2160 minutes TBT between 0 fsw and 49.5 fsw
- Must have a minimum of :420 minutes TBT between 49.5 fsw and 66 fsw
- Must have a minimum of :180 minutes TBT between 66 fsw and 132 fsw
- Must have a minimum of :180 minutes TBT between 132 fsw and 165 fsw
- Must have a minimum of :60 minutes TBT at 165 fsw
- Must have a minimum of 6 hours (:360 minutes) TBT in a Dry-Suit
For Surface Supplied Mixed Gas Diver add:
- 5 mixed gas (HEO2) dives between 99 fsw and 230 fsw with a minimum of :120 TBT
- 1 mixed gas (HEO2) dive with a minimum of :20 TBT at 230 fsw
- Must hold a DCBC or equivalent certification, or have been assessed to an Unrestricted Surface Supplied Air Diver
- Must have completed formal Mixed Gas Theory at a recognized Commercial diving school (International or ANSI)
Requirements for Initial Assessment
Print and fill out the applicable 2018 Unrestricted Assessment Checklist , and make copies of the required documentation. Send electronic versions (scanned/pdf documents) or questions to the Assessment Coordinator Michelle at email@example.com but please do not send any original documents. Mail hard copies to:
Divers Institute of Technology
1341 N. Northlake Way, Suite 150
Seattle, WA 98103