Next Full Course: May 17 - May 28** Dates subject to change due to COVID-19 rescheduling. Updated course dates will be posted as soon as they are available.
Next Refresher Course: June 14 - June 18** Dates subject to change due to COVID-19 rescheduling.
The Diver Medic Course at Divers Institute of Technology is designed to give the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform as an integral part of the diving team. Commercial divers routinely work in remote locations, often in depths that require days of decompression before they can be transported to the nearest treatment facilities that may be hundreds of miles away. Due to the inherently dangerous work that is done day by day, the industry standard for a designated Diver Medic on all employer-sponsored dives has been established by the USCG and OSHA to provide prompt and adequate treatment of injured divers.
- DAN Diving First Aid for Professional Divers (First Aid, CPR, AED, and O2 Provider)
- Certificate of Completion* of National Board of Diving and Hyperbaric Medical Technology (NBDHMT) Certified Diver Medic training course (*with appropriate prerequisites)
- Certificate of Completion* of International Marine Contractors Association (IMCA) Diver Medical Technician course (*with appropriate prerequisites)
DIT opened the door, literally, to the world with my internationally accepted surface supplied diver certification. The excellent training, assistance with job placement, and the ability to return to the campus for continued education are all factors that have allowed me to excel and continue to succeed as a commercial diver
Students will be introduced to advanced critical skills and diagnostic tests to help make appropriate diagnosis and treatment decisions, with emphasis on effective communication with a diving physician and carrying out critical care by the physician’s direction. Students will get extensive practice doing advanced invasive procedures including Advanced Airway, Wound Closure (sutures and staples), Urinary Catheterization, Chest Decompression (needle thoracentesis, and chest tube placement), Intravenous Infusion, and Drug administration. Ten percent of the course will be taught by a diving physician, who will cover medical equipment, sterile procedures, and effects of drugs in diving. The final testing will be done in a practical setting inside the recompression chamber, along with a written exam.
- $1800.00 for the 10-day full course (includes all text books, a Diver Medic Diagnostic Kit, and 60 hours of instruction).
- The 5-day, 30-hour refresher course for previously certified DMTs renewing their credentials is $900.00. For refresher classes, the Diagnostic Kit and textbooks are not included in the cost but may be purchased for an additional $600.00.
- A $100.00 non-refundable application fee is required at registration. This amount will be credited toward the total cost. The remaining balance is due 14 days before the class starts.